There can be no denying that the script for Emmi underwent some pretty extensive revisions (and even a title change). The first script (the one which sold us all on the project) was a pretty harrowing experience. I remember showing it to Gail Hackston (with a warning it wasn’t “light”) and the response was “it’s unrelenting”.
After being handed the reigns by the group, I wanted to bring about a few changes (namely more wit and some changes being as the ending was too bleak). We spent around half a year working out a different style and Susie (much to her credit) would knock out draft after draft at incredible speed.
Things were getting closer to the vision I had when the revision called “June Sliding Doors Version” arrived. My Christopher Nolan non-linear tendencies were kicking in by this point, and the new structure offered more of an opportunity for “choice”.
Naturally things evolved even further during the workshop process and again down to practical limitations. But I think it’s fair to say we’ve ended up with something best described as “Fish Tank” meets “Sliding Doors”.